A warning has been issued following an overnight fire, which was sparked by an electrical fault with a dehumidifier.
Fire crews in two engines attended a flat in Eyhorne Street, Hollingbourne, near Maidstone, at 11.40pm last night.
Wearing breathing apparatus and using a hose reel jet, they tackled the blaze in the kitchen.
Kent Fire and Rescue Service’s Volunteer Response Team also attended, with crews leaving the flat three hours later at 2.40am.
Now, firefighters are urging people to always check to make sure electrical items are turned off before going out or going to bed.
They are also warning people to avoid overloading plug sockets which can increase the chance of a fire starting.
There were no reported casualties, and the cause is believed to accidental, linked to an electrical fault with a dehumidifier.